Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years Later

On September 11, 2001, my father was in South Carolina on a business trip. I was driving to campus at Tarleton State as the towers were being hit. I think I heard the news of the second hit as I arrived on campus. My world hist prof was cynical about the American response (I imagine he is still today).

All I remember is being alone. I did not have television reception, so I could not get a visual of what actually happened. I called Mom at the high school (which I never did) to check on Dad. I didn't know if this was going to be an attack on the eastern seaboard or what was happening. I couldn't stand it. I skipped the rest of my classes for the day and drove home. Normally I would have gone directly to pick up my baby sister at the sitter's just a couple of driveways down. But I had to see what happened. I had only heard people describe it, but I could not imagine it for myself.

Seven years later, I still can't imagine it. I know it happened. I watch reruns of Friends and see footage of the Twin Towers and make a mental observation that they are no longer there. But I can't still imagine it.

How does the skyline of the most major city in the world get completely changed like that? How does the Pentagon, the greatest architectural demonstration of American strength, get hit by an airplane? How does a randomly place group of people ban together for the good of others to keep a fourth plane from destroying another American building and killing additional American lives?

How can anyone hate another so much that they hijack 4 planes intending to kill thousands of people? How does this happen?

More important, how have we been able to respond to this with such calm and compassion and care? Look at the coverage of the anniversary and see the compassion of everyone involved. We are Americans. We were attacked. I didn't know anyone affected, and I live in Texas. Who's going to attack Clifton or Waco?

Americans come together. Not for any gain. Only to support those that lost a loved one. Only to show our resolve.

Yes, two wars have come of this. But we have only gone after the horrid rulers that hate and wanted to destroy America. We have and continue to help rebuild their countries to leave them better than before we intruded.

Seven years later I am finally writing down my thoughts of September 11th. I now understand the importance of recognizing each year what happened in 2001. No hatred like this should ever be allowed to happen again. By recognizing the events and the loss each year, maybe we can remember why we are Americans!

May God bless America.

No comments: